SAFETY ALERT: Violence Against Health Care Workers
- Verbal Threats
ACTIONABLE ITEMS TO MITIGATE RISK
- Review policies and education of staff pertaining to the recognition and de-escalation of hostile and aggressive behavior by patients.
- Evaluate the need for security personnel and mental health professionals to assist with identification and de-escalation of aggressive behavior.
- Assess physical work environment to limit/eliminate the possibility of staff working in isolation without escape route in the possibility a patient
- becomes physically aggressive.
THE CULTURE CONNECTION
- Ask your staff if they feel comfortable reporting aggressive behavior
- Encourage staff to use teamwork strategies such as ensuring a second staff member is readily available to assist with procedures where patients have increased risk of becoming aggressive
- Leadership should evaluate the culture and consider implementing a support system for staff members who feel threatened/intimidated by patients
- The Joint Commission Sentinel Event Alert Issue 59, April 17, 2018. Violence against health care workers.
- The Joint Commission Sentinel Event Alert Infographic. Take a stand: No more violence to health care workers.
- The Joint Commission Requirements relevant to violence against health care workers.